Out of nowhere, Apple quietly released a new iPad and iPad Pro only making a short 9-minute announcement video for them and a press release in their newsroom.
The original iPad
Apple has completely redesigned the base model iPad with a similar design to the iPad Air with a 10.9-inch Liquid Retina display and moved the touch ID to the top of the iPad instead of the home screen.
The main highlights of the new iPad are
- A14 bionic from iPhone 12
- New 12 MP back camera with 4k video recording option
- USB-C connector instead of lightning
- ultra-wide center stage front camera placed in landscape border for better video calling
- WiFi 6 and 5G (for cellular models)
- Magic Keyboard Folio: a new magnetic keyboard for the iPad with 14 function keys and track-pad
- RIP home button on iPad
- 4 new colors also similar to iPad Air
- It starts at 449$ and is available starting 26th Oct
The iPad Pro got some incremental changes like the new chip and faster WiFi.
However, we got something similar to Samsung S Pen, the “Apple Pencil Hover”. The new Apple Pencil Hover can detect the position of the Apple Pencil in 3 dimensions from 12 millimeters away to take the interaction to the next level. Apple has shown how the Apps the Procreate can use this feature to show the preview of the files before you open them.
The highlights of the new iPad Pros are:
- The New M2 chip is just like the new Macbook Air and Pro
- The back cameras can now capture ProRes video
- Support the next-generation WiFi 6E for almost 2 times the performance
- The new “Apple pencil hover”
- Stage Manager for multitasking as a part of iPadOS 16
- starts at $799 for the 11-inch model and $1099 for the 12.9-inch model
Apple has also announced that more professional apps like DaVinci resolve are coming to iPad taking full advantage of the M2 chip.
Are you happy with the new iPad-Air’ish design of the base model iPad?
Let me know in the comments